CHICAGO – March 1, 2016 – Alan S. Pollack, DDS, a practicing periodontist in New York City, was appointed president of the Academy of Osseointegration (AO) at the organization’s Annual Business Meeting held February 20 in San Diego. He succeeds former Academy President Russell D. Nishimura, DDS.
“With the increasing use of implant dentistry, it has become evermore important for practitioners to obtain the best possible information, independent of corporate influence and open to critique and challenge from a variety of dentists and scientists across the spectrum of dental disciplines and scientific background,” said Dr. Pollack. “This is what AO has always been about and what guides our path. We will continue to pursue the best science available, and the best and most efficient and ethical ways of translating that for our members, to provide the best possible clinical care for our patients.”
This year, the AO Board will implement a new strategic plan to guide the organization in the coming years. It includes supporting research, promoting education, and fostering interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary care.
The 2016-2017 Board of Directors serving with Dr. Pollack are:
* President-Elect Michael R. Norton, BDS, FDS, RCS (Ed), an oral surgeon from London, England
* Vice President Jay P. Malmquist, DMD, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon from Portland, Ore.
* Secretary James C. Taylor, DMD, a prosthodontist from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
* Treasurer Clark M. Stanford, DDS, PhD, a prosthodontist from Chicago
* Past President Russell D. Nishimura, DDS, a prosthodontist from Westlake Village, Calif.
* Tara L. Aghaloo, DDS, MD, PhD, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon from Los Angeles
* Amerian D. Sones, DMD, MS, a prosthodontist from Dallas, Texas
* Steven J. Rosenstein, DMD, a general practitioner from Aventura, Fla.
* Jeffrey D. Lloyd, DDS, a general practitioner from Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
* Joerg Neugebauer, DDS, PhD, an oral surgeon from Landsberg am Lech, Germany
* Hom-Lay Wang, DDS, MSD, PhD, a periodontist from Ann Arbor, Mich.
About Dr. Pollack
Dr. Pollack received his B.A. in Biology from Queens College, City University of New York, and his D.D.S. degree from Columbia University School of Dental Medicine. He completed post-graduate programs in General Practice at Long Island Jewish Medical Center and in Periodontics at Columbia University. He served as a clinical assistant in the Department of Surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center from 1984 to 2003, and as an attending dentist at Beth Israel Medical Center from 1992 to 1998.
Dr. Pollack has authored numerous publications in the dental literature and is a member of many professional organizations, including Omicron Kappa Upsilon, American Academy of Periodontology, American Dental Association, American Association for the Advancement of Science, First District Dental Society, Northeastern Society of Periodontists. He is a Fellow of the International Team for Implantology and AO and has been an invited speaker at numerous national and international meetings.
Dr. Pollack currently owns a private practice in New York City.