Dr. Charles D. Schlesinger discusses a method for addressing the gap between an implant body and the residual socket
Today’s implant patient wishes to decrease overall treatment time as much as practitioners. Due to this fact, we are more frequently placing implants at the same time as an extraction is being done. By placing the implant at the same time as the extraction and not grafting first, there is a 4-6 month decrease in overall treatment time when compared to the later. Most roots differ in both length and three-dimensional form when compared to the typical cylindrical root-formed implant.
- Botticelli D, Berglundh T, Buser D, et al. The jumping distance revisited: an experimental study in the dog. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2003;14(1):35-42.
- Januário AL, Duarte WR, Barriviera M, et al. Dimension of the facial bone wall in the anterior maxilla: a cone- beam computed tomography study. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2011;22(10):1168-1171.
- Katranji A, Misch K, Wang HL. Cortical bone thickness in dentate and edentulous human cadavers. J Periodontol. 2007;78(5):874-878.
- Chen ST, Darby IB, Reynolds EC. A prospective clinical study of non-submerged immediate implants: clinical outcomes and esthetic results. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2007; 18(5): 552-562.
- Rosenbach, DR. GAP management around immediate implants: a review of the literature and its application in clinical practice. Dentaltown. September 2014:44-49.
- Valen M, Ganz SD. A synthetic bioactive resorbable graft for predictable implant reconstruction: part one. J Oral Implantol. 2002;28(4):167-177.
- Artzi Z, Nemcovsky CE, Dayan D. Nonceramic hydroxyapatite bone derivative in sinus augmentation procedures: clinical and histomorphometric observations in 10 consecutive cases. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2003;23(4):381-389.
- Ricci JL, Blumenthal NC, Spivak JM, et al. Evaluation of a low temperature calcium phosphate particulate implant material: physicochemical properties and in vivo bone response. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1992;50(9):969-978.
- Epstein SR, Valen M. An alternative treatment for the periodontal infrabony defect: a synthetic bioactive resorbable composite graft. Dent Today. 2006;25(2):92-97.
- Corsair A. A clinical evaluation of resorbable hydroxylapatite for the repair of human intra-osseous defects. J Oral Implantol. 1990;16(2):125-128.
- Wagner JR. Clinical and histological case study using resorbable hydroxylapatite for the repair of osseous defects prior to endosseous implant surgery. J Oral Implantol. 1989;15:186-192.
- Fugazzotto PA, Vlassis JM. Long-term success of sinus augmentation using various surgical approaches and grafting materials. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1998;13(1):52-58.
- Vlassis JM, Hurzeler MB, Quinones CR. Sinus lift augmentation to facilitate placement of nonsubmerged implants: a clinical and histological report. Pract Periodontics Aesthet Dent. 1993;5(2):15-24.
- Whittaker JM, James RA, Lozada J, Cordova C, GaRey DJ. Histological response and clinical evaluation of heterograft and allograft materials in the elevation of the maxillary sinus for the preparation of endosteal dental implant sites. Simultaneous sinus elevation and root form implantation: an eight-month autopsy report. J Oral Implantol. 1989;15(2):141-144.
- Manso M, Wassal, T. A 10-year longitudinal study of 160 implants simultaneously installed in severely atrophic posterior maxillas grafted with autogenous bone and a synthetic bioactive resorbable graft. Implant Dent. 2010;19(4):351-360.
- Schlesinger C. Torque versus RFA at implant placement: a case study. Implant Practice US. 2016;9(4):14-20.
- Schlesinger C. Immediate placement of dental implants: a safe, a predictable treatment option. J Dent Sci. 2016;4(3).